Fleas in home treatment without any chemicals seem very hard. However, it is possible. As we all know that our pets often carry fleas from other places and bring them home. We get skin allergy, rashes and several other symptoms due to these tiny creatures. As fleas reside in animals’ hair, so we don’t want to use any harmful products to kill them. Preventing the insects is always better than finding different ways to kill them. But, those who have pets and don’t want chemicals in their homes; can try some home remedies for fleas. It would be safe to use insects in-house treatment home remedies, like baking soda, salt, dish soap water, rosemary powder, lemon water, and regular vacuuming.
Fleas in Home Treatment Through Preventive Measures
Prevention is always better than cure so we should follow this advice to stay away from pests. Those who are worried about flea treatment for the home can get successful by taking care of their pets which are the primary source for transferring the fleas. Below are some tips to keep the insects away, like
- Keep your carpets clean by a regular vacuuming because the carpets often become fleas ‘residence.
- Keep your pets clean and also clean their bedding or home. Keep flea combs at home and comb your pets regularly.
- Not only cats or dogs, but several other animals also have fleas, like the rabbits, foxes, deer, and rodents.
- According to the experts, flea larvae gets its food through furnishing, mattress, carpets, and animal bedding, so keep all these things clean.
- If you have just moved into a new home, check the flooring and any furniture to see if there are fleas or their larva left by the previous homeowner’s pets. You can use some home remedies for fleas to get rid of them.
Some Facts about Fleas in Home Treatment
Getting rid of fleas in house is not that simple because the flea eggs may not hatch for two years as the cocoons stay dormant and they wait for a right condition to hatch. A naked eye can hardly detect the flea eggs because they are minimal, like having the 0.5 mm length. The oval shape and white color of flea eggs also make them hard to find in the carpets and furnishing. The life cycle of flea ranges between 2 weeks and eight months. The home remedies to get rid of fleas are useful if they are in a small quantity. The breeding of fleas is very fast, so when they spread it becomes hard to control their growth.
As fleas suck animals’ blood and they transfer an infection in humans by biting them, so preventing them and removing them is very important. Though flea bites are not very common, you will identify the flea bite through a skin allergy, irritation or itching. Sometimes the swelling may happen due to a flea bite. You can also catch fleas from others’ pets though you don’t have them at your home.
7 Natural Remedies for Fleas
Though there are several best ways to get rid of fleas in the house, you should try the best remedies so you can make your home or pets free from fleas.
- A mixture of water and dish soap is what people frequently use to kill the fleas. Take some hot water mixed with dish soap and pour it in a bowl, and place it in insect are. It is a very useful trap for fleas as warm water will automatically kill them. Fleas get attracted due to soap smell and get trapped.
- Baking soda is another method to kill the fleas or to keep your carpets free from them. Take a little baking soda and sprinkle it over the rugs, carpets, sofas, and other furnishings. You can also pour baking soda on your flooring where fleas reside and then vacuum the entire home and empty the vacuum bag away from your home. A deep home cleaning or natural sprays will keep the fleas away.
- The best home remedies for fleas also include the salt that acts like soda. Take some nicely ground salt and sprinkle it over the carpets, rugs, furnishing, bedding and other areas with fleas. Vacuum the flooring and furnishing after two days and empty the vacuum bag outside the home. You can also put salt on your pet’s bedding as it is a simple component.
- Natural remedies to kill fleas in a house with a lemon spray are also very common that people have been using for years. Take a few lemons and pour their juice in water and boil it. Use this water the other day to spray on the flea area. You can use any spray bottle for this purpose. Lemon will keep your home fresh with its smell, but the citric effect will kill the fleas. You can spray over bedding, the carpet and furnishing.
- My grandma used to make a herbal powder by grinding the rosemary and mixed it with fennel, peppermint, rue, and wormwood. Sprinkle this herbal powder to all places where you get the signs of fleas. Rosemary repels the fleas, and they will run away from your home. You can also sprinkle this herb over your pet as it is harmless and has no side-effects. But, if your pet is allergic to any elements, then don’t use this remedy.
- 1 of my favourite home remedy to avoid from fleas also includes some indoor and outdoor plants that keep the insects away. These plants have some natural chemicals and oils that repel the fleas. The plants include the Penny Royal, Spearmint, Lavender, and Chrysanthemums.
- Some people use the diatomaceous earth which is free from toxins, and its powder helps remove the fleas from furniture, flooring, and bedding. You can sprinkle the powder to the flea affected places just like salt and baking soda and then vacuum the room after a day or two.
All the tips as mentioned above fleas in home treatment through natural ways. But, if you feel that the situation is out of control due to a high flea growth, call some pesticide company to spray your home or use some organic pesticide to kill these tiny but harmful bugs.